- Anaheim Ducks: Before they were the Ducks of Anaheim, a little company called Disney owned an NHL team known as the Mighty Ducks. While the team has desperately tried to change their image from the “Mighty” days, the problem is they never found a better logo then their previous incarnation. The webbed duck foot is a decent shoulder logo, but not a stand alone on the chest. The team has really hit it off with their current third uniform which brings back the double hockey stick duck goalie mask logo with a great color combination. The orange, gold, and black could make for three great uniforms, but one thing they should all have in common is the old Mighty Ducks logo with the new color pallet. The logo is too good to waste, and is the team’s best option unless they can come up with a better design.
- Pittsburgh Penguins: The Penguins don’t have a logo problem, it’s a color problem. Their alternate jerseys are beautiful and should become the full-time uniform combo for a few reasons. One, it’s more vibrant and eye catching. Two, it pays tribute to the great Penguins’ teams of the early 90’s. Third, and most importantly it ties time with the rest of the city’s black and yellow color pallet. There’s nothing wrong with their current gold, it just doesn’t match the Steelers and Pirates. It’s time for all the Pittsburgh teams to be on the same page.
- Carolina Hurricanes: The Hurricanes have always had a very generic look with a less then inspiring logo. I’m sorry but if your logo reminds people of swirling toilet water, you have room for improvement. The team should completely change their image and go with the alternate uniform logo and design. The design is different then other teams, but most importantly the alternate logo is a vast improvement. The hurricane storm flag whipping in the wind on a hockey stick is a perfect logo for the team’s namesake, while the background triangle representing the state’s research triangle, is a subtle touch that pays homage to their Carolinas.
- Phoenix Coyotes: The Coyotes have always had an image problem, especially over the past few seasons. Since the team changed their brand, there has been a lot of confusion with uniforms featuring red, tan, and black with a generic looking howling coyote logo. This season the team brought back their 90’s throwbacks, which is a look they should go back to. The red, green, tan, and purple color pallet gave them a definitive look that none in the league could match, and the original coyote logo not only payed tribute to the native american tribes in the state, but was truly one of the most unique logos in NHL history. It’s time for the Coyotes to turn back the clock.
- Colorado Avalanche: The Avalanche hit a home run with their new third uniform logo and design. The simpler design, and look perfectly sums up the team namesake and the city of Denver. While their current “A” logo is good, the main concern with the Avalanche brand is the uniforms. The current home and away set have so much going one with all the piping, design, colors, and odd number fonts. The current alternates a crisp, simple, and feature a great new logo. This is a look that the team should consider making a full-time change.